Friday, August 3, 2012

Words of advice to aspiring authors

As I add to my literary resume I want to let people know that this is not an act. I am very serious about my career. I put my heart and soul into every thing that I do. Being a publisher, author and promoter mean a lot to me. I never thought I would be in those positions. I am grateful and I want to have great success.


Great success comes with sweat and tears. I work my butt off doing what I do? What do I do you might say. Well I am an author. I have one short story and two flash fiction titles published. I am a publisher. I do not currently publish any authors but I publish my own titles. I am a promoter. I promote other author's work plus my own via social media. I run a book club and an authors group on Facebook. All of it keeps me busy and I love every minute of it.


To be successful one has to have a plan. You can't depend on anything or one to take you to where you want to go. You have to know from the start where you want to end up and keep your eyes on the prize. No business starts without a plan. If they do they will fail. Planning is key. As an author your books are your business. You must market yourself and create your brand.


I don't claim to know it all. But I know enough to know that to become successful we have to fail at something. the failure is not to discourage you. But to encourage you to do something different and try again. People told me I was wasting my time writing. Really? My sales say something different. Readers tell me different. You can not believe the words of everyone. For everyone is not for you!


I was once an aspiring new author with no clue on who to talk to or where to go. Research is key. It will lead you to success or failure. Research is not just looking up a website. It is a lengthy and extensive process that takes time. There is no rush to be published. 


This is just the start to my words of advice. Stay tuned for more.



No comments:

Post a Comment